Re: Nakhla

Hello Kevin, Matt and List,

Kevin, point wells said.

While Nakhla's scientific value is not changed if the dog story in Nakhla's
history is updated to reflect the facts, its 'human' appeal is changed. Not
many people understand a Calcium-rich Diopside-Olivine Nakhlite Achondrite
(or something like that anyway), but they can understand a cosmic K9
catastrophe. Eliminating the canine cranial cratering caption from Nakhla's
description may be like turning a supertanker around while going down a
river. Every opportunity to change direction will need to be taken. And
hopefully Kevin will be at the bridge forcing all of us to embrace the truth
about this rock.

Cheers,

Martin

----------
>From: MARSROX@aol.com
>To: meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com
>Subject: Nakhla
>Date: Tue, Jun 15, 1999, 7:36 AM
>

> Perhaps it really doesn't matter, but a second meteorite dealer is offering
> Nakhla for sale with the punchline of "when it fell, it killed a dog - ouch!"
>
> Nakhla is my "favorite" meteorite for many reasons.  As meteorites go, it's
> beautiful. A fresh cut surface seems to glow under even small magnification.
> Scientists have found more evidence of life on another planet - what other
> meteorite in your collection has that profound cache' ?  It's from Mars, a
> somewhat more exotically romantic origin than say....4Vesta.  It's got
> incredible legend behind it - first Egyptian meteorite, studied by some of
> the most historic meteoriticists in history, stolen from the Egyptians by a
> person posing as a Yale professor, even Monica Grady adds to the prestige of
> this rock with her donation last year of a specimen from the BNHM collection.
>

> But friends, it did not kill a dog.  And the long published typo of the TKW
> "forty stones of forty kilos" is wrong - there's only 9.9K.  I'm a tad
> sensitive on this subject having written about Nakhla in Meteorite! last year
> (May and August issues).   Since the two dealers plagiarizing Bob Haag's
> catalogue description of Nakhla (double - ouch!) advertise in M! it seems a
> safe assumption that they also subscribe and read it.   Perhaps "dead dogs"
> sell more meteorites, but what's the point of publishing research, reviewed
> by people like Hap McSween and Alan Rubin, if we are to ignore the results?
>
> Kevin Kichinka

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: