Re: Looking for Meteorites with Infrared binoculars

Gene >>But the human was emitting its own heat. What I meant was that a
meteorite
  that was shaded may not warm up enough to stand out from the ground and the
  dark green plant.

Another thought just occurred to me after I replied to Gene's comment. Isn't
the ground usually slightly warmer than the air and plant life a few feet
above it? I believe it is, particularly on clear nights? I think this would
cause sufficient heat exchange from the ground to an iron object to stand out
from small plant life such as Sage brush etc covering it?

I'm not sure, but I think yesterday while at work I overheard someone talking
about our dept's budget and I think it was mentioned that money has been set
aside to buy two of these gadgets? If so, you can bet I will experiment with
it....at work of course. I have a couple small iron meteorites to use for
examples. If I heard it right yesterday, and we are getting these devices, it
most likely will be a few months for them to show up. Most likely will be
kept with the Battalion chiefs since they would be too expensive to farm out
to each engine crew. I have a good relationship with my battalion chief, so I
shouldn't have too much trouble in checking it out a little closer for
meteorite hunting purposes....that is while at the station.  :o)   I will
keep everyone informed what I've learned if given the opportunity to play
with it.
GeoZay

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: