TAMENTIT IIIA

Hello list ...and Bernd:

I am looking on info about the TAMENTIT meteorite. I have read that German
Explorer Gerhard Rohlfs saw it half buried in the sand in the village of
Tamentit in Algeria in 1864. The local oral tradition said that a rock  felt
during the  XIV century nearby that  village and that it was made of Gold.
The inhabitants disputed to share it and God turned it into silver. But
disputes did not stopped and God turned it into iron, what it is made of today.
The local cheikh had it carried in front of the mosquee.
In 1927 the Governor general of Algeria, M. Violette bought it and had it
carried in MNHN of Paris where it stays now.

Tamentit is a 510 kg iron.

Any other info welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Michel FRANCO