Re: "NEW" DAG489 Mars rock. At a 15% Discount to.

Dean and list:
This discussion brings up an interesting point with the pairing of
specimens and further sale of the pieces.  I have seen, and personally
do not approve of, selling specimens that are paired (i.e. most of the
DaG's, El Djoufs, etc.) under different numbers. This is misleading to
collectors and should drastically influence the price. Really, what the
Meteoritical Committee says, is what goes.
Also, the name "Mars Man" is a named that should be earned, like Haag
earned the "Meteorite Man".  Michael Blood whom I consider a close
friend and colleague, rightfully deserves the name "Mars Man". He
single-handedly made all 8 SNC's available to the collecting public
(including Governador Valadares and Lafayette), and I know from
experience this takes ALOT of MONEY and TIME. There are others like Alan
Lang and Blaine Reed who also qualify for this prestigious namesake.
Anyway, those are my thoughts, take them as you will but please be
careful when labeling meteorites, you'd be surprised as to what could
happen.

Best wishes,
--
Matt Morgan
Mile High Meteorites

dean bessey wrote:

> Yes, I am offering DAG489 on eBay (As well as on my website:
> www.meteoriteshop.com), and yes, I am marketing it as a new meteorite. Like
> many meteorites this one is beleived to be paired with another one - in this
> case DAG476). If you look at Nasa'a website it is listed as the 14th
> meteorite (http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/snc/index.html) and the BBC news artical
> which has a link from the site indicates it as the 14th, even though it is
> indicated that it is possibly paired with another one.
> This meteorite even has an officialy different name. To listen to  the
> earlier agruement listed on this mailing list I (Or anybody else) could sell
> DAG476 for DAG489 (or vice versa) and it be OK which of course it is not. I
> think that people would be upset if they received DAG476 when they ordered
> DAG489. The meteor naming organization feels that it is different enough to
> segregate it with a different name. That in itself makes it different.
> I ask you this question: If a new meteorite from Mars was discovered
> tomorrow would it be known as the 14th or the 15th? I beleive that it would
> be known as the 15th. Wither or not they are from the same fall, DAG476 and
> DAG489 will always be considered different. As such no Mars collection is
> totally complete without both DAG476 and DAG489.
> SINCE I WANT TO HELP EVERYBODY COMPLETE THEIR MARS COLLECTION I AM GOING TO
> OFFER A 15% DISCOUNT TO READERS OF THIS LIST FOR ANY DAG476 or DAG489
> PURCHASED FROM MY WEBSITE FROM NOW UNTIL TUESDAY. (www.meteoriteshop.com).
> You will get the one that you ordered. No substituting DAG476 for DAG489 or
> DAG489 for DAG476.
> While I am at it the 15% discount will also apply to all meteorites listed
> on my website from now until Tuesday - including the Zagami and THE big 5MM
> piece of Shergotty.
> I will be putting up more DAG400 moon rock shortly also so check back at my
> site around the middle of the week - my 15% discount will apply to the
> DAG400 moonrock all week. (I broke up the big piece that I just bought and
> was going to put my affordable micromounts of DAG400 on my website today but
> unfortunately I ran out of display cases so will have to wait until I can
> buy more sometime in the next few days.  Oh yes, check out my rare Layayette
> and Shergotty on eBay along with the DAG476, Zagami and DAG489. Just think
> of me as your Mars meteorite dealer, or just "THE MARS MAN".
> Cheers
> DEAN BESSEY

> Archives located at:
> http://www.meteoritecentral.com/list_best.html