---------------------- Forwarded by Jeffrey Grantham/Boulder/IBM on 06/21/99
10:30 AM ---------------------------

Jeffrey Grantham
06/21/99 08:34 AM

To:   viol@webtv.net (J.B. Goleman)
cc:
From: Jeffrey Grantham/Boulder/IBM@IBMUS
Subject:  Re: Looking for Meteorites with Infrared binoculars  (Document link
      not converted)

Hi,

An iron meteorite might also retain from the sun longer than surrounding rocks
due to its mass.

Cheers,

Jeffrey

viol@webtv.net (J.B. Goleman) on 06/18/99 09:59:12 AM

To:   meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com
cc:    (bcc: Jeffrey Grantham/Boulder/IBM)
Subject:  Re: Looking for Meteorites with Infrared binoculars

Hi George, Michael and List:  While I'm far from being a
thermodynamicist, and agree with Michael, it seems to me that there's
another factor that could produce a meteorite's  infrared "signature"
and lead to its recovery by the method proposed by George.
A black fusion crust would permit a newly-fallen meteorite to absorb
more heat radiation from the sun than would be absorbed by
lighter-colored country rock. Therefore, after a bit of basking in the
sun, such a meteorite should, after dark, appear some degree lighter to
an appropriately-equipped searcher - assuming that it hadn't completely
buried itself. What do you folks think ?  Joel  ....
P.S. Regarding appropriate equipment, the surplus division of Edmund
Scientific in Barrington,N.J. sells a very high power infrared device
once used as a long range, Belgian Army artillery night sight.