Re: Corrections to Catalogue

Monica,
Thank you for your timely response.

Sorry about the misunderstanding with the British Museum.

Here are the coordinate corrections that can be easily verified:

De Kalb is listed in Missouri, but plots in Texas. Its coordinates can
be verified by noting that it should be 3 miles from Faucett. Change the
latitude FROM 30 35 30 TO 39 35 30.

Parma Canyon is listed in Idaho, but plots in Wyoming. According to the
description the coordinates are supposed to be those of Parma, Idaho.
Change the longitude FROM 110W to 117W.

I discovered these errors when I plotted all of the USA meteorites out
using a GIS. 92 of them did not plot in the county that they were
reported as coming from. I believe most of these are errors in
reporting, but when they were off by exactly 1,2,7, and 9 degrees, I
decided that these must be an error in recording.

I have 7 other suspects which appear to be off by exactly 1 and 2
degrees. Either this is the case, or the county reported is incorrect.
Since a simple correction to the coordinates will put them in the
reported county, I believe the error is in the coordinates. Here is a
summary of the other suspects:

TO CORRECT:
Amber    -2 degrees from latitude
Anson    -2 degrees from latitude
Enigma    +1 degree to longitude
Happy(a)    -1 degree from latitude
Hendersonville    +1 degree to longitude
Hereford    +1 degree to latitude
Springer    -2 degrees from latitude

I hope this helps,

Bill Peck