Re: Planetary Rings around Earth

>>I recall asking the list why it
>>was assumed that all asteroids approach
>>Earth at super high velocity.
>>

>Because they originate from the asteroid belt.

>I thought that all asteroids are not from the asteroid belt.  Are you just
>being a purist, and prefer to call others planetoids or meteoroids??

Since you made no previous mention of planetoids or meteorids, and only
mentioned asteroids, I assumed you were only talking about asteroids.
Fair assumption?

Yes, most of the known asteroids come from the asteroid belt.  Some of them have
had their orbits perturbed, but they all trace back to the asteroid belt.
Even asteroid 3753 Cruithne probably originated from the asteroid belt, even
though its current orbit is co-orbital with Earth's orbit.

Comets originate from either the Oort cloud or the Kuiper Belt.  Meteoroids
are small pieces of an asteroid or comet.  Planetoid I think is just another
term for asteroids.

Nevertheless, all of these objects have orbits different from the Earth,
and when they do make a close approach of the Earth, they pass by as speeds of
kilometers/second.  If by chance an object did approach Earth at a slow
relative velocity, it would be sucked into Earth by Earth's gravity and
impact.

Ron Baalke

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: