asteroid capture AND ring material escape?

Hi.

This planetary ring discussion brought one thing to my attention.. a
thing which I seem to have forgotten, so would someone please clarify
this?

Is it true that any object in an orbit around the Sun (at the distance
of for example the asteroid belt or closer to the Sun) CAN NOT be
captured by a planet? As far as I remember, Earth's velocity around the
Sun is about 30km/sec (for Mars 24km/sec). And the escape velocity of
Earth is 11km/sec..

Come to think of it, the planetary probes have to use propulsion or some
other form of deceleration (aircapture etc) to reach a planetary orbit..
There, I seem to have answered my own question. (Have I?)

I guess this would go both ways then: For an Earth-orbiting chunk of
rock, it would be needed an extra "push" to reach a heliospheric orbit?
So, if there was a planetary ring around the Earth, how could this newly
found asteroid OUTSIDE Earth's orbit, circling the Sun, be a remnant of
that ring?

--
| Jarmo Korteniemi        http://www.student.oulu.fi/~jkorteni/
|   student
|  Dept. of Astronomy  "Science is hard. Wishful thinking is easy."
|  Oulu University        -P.Stephens, The South Shore Skeptic,May'98

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit:

Follow-Ups: References: