Search meteorites on Mars

>Well, those dust plains on Mars *still* look **very** promising to me...
rich
>and easy pickings there! :-) Maybe we should start planning our own List
>sample return mission as Mr Goldin seems determined to throw more money at
the
>space station instead of sending people to Mars..?

I have been thinking about meteorites on Mars recently. For one, a sample
return mission would probably leave a meteorite behind in favor of a Mars
rock! Probably the only time this would happen! Second, that icky red dust
would always be getting all over your meteorite hunting cane.

One more thing I have wondered: why not have a Discovery-class Mars lander
outfitted with a camera pointing up?During the day, you have that camera as
a part of the meteorology package, doing cloud triangulation, etc. At night,
it gets some long-exposure images for meteor counts and triangulation, plus
some good PR.

Does Mars have its own unique meteor showers. I bet! But have instruments
ever measured them?

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: