master meteorite guide

Hi y'all,

	I've been away from the list for a while, but I remember a couple of
months back there was a lot of discussion to come up with a BLUE BOOK of
prices for meteorites. Whether or not this was a good idea, I can't say,
but what I think we need much more is a completely comprehensive guide
of strewn fields, impact craters, etc. I have seen this information in
pieces (ie The Norton book and others), but we have the resources and
the people here on this mailing list to put together such a master list.
There are the places we all know about, but small strewn fields, recent
bolide impact areas, and other finds reported locally get lost in the
mix. I think what would be best would be something not-for-profit and
put up on the web for everyone to see. Potentially, it could even be
merged with Terraserver data (where available..) so that meteorite
hunters could see exactly where to look. If possible, perhaps folks who
had visited a spot could leave notes for others to see and make
suggestions. I've noticed that Bernd Pauli (what's up Bernd?) seems to
have the best info about locales - where is that info coming from Mr.
Pauli? Maybe there IS such a master list, and I'm just clueless. If so,
is it on the web? can we put it there?
	Now based on past responses, I'm sure you guys will be like why don't
*I* make this list? Perhaps I could, if we could agree on a format and a
place to host it.

What does everybody think of this?

Cheers, John Patterson

Archives located at: