Re: Sci.astro thread

Hi Thomas,

I have ran across a couple of these arrogant people before, including when I was
set up with meteorite specimens at educational shows I was doing. It's really not
anyone's place to try to educate someone like that and normally they get more and
more arrogant about it. I had one fellow go as far as to tell me it might have
come from outside of our solar system and was an exact match for the planet
Mars!!!! I had given good information in regards as to why they were from Mars
and despite my good common sense reasons he would go farther out on a limb to try
to explain why it couldn't be, devils advocate sort of approach.

These sort of people really burn me up and I would just assume let them go and
make a fool out of themselves, rather than try to set them straight. The real
problem and the one you are probably more concerned with is the damage these sort
of people do to others on the list. I will come across some of
those listening in to this thread no doubt in my travels.

Dr. Lipshultz just recently came out with information in regards to the various
collected specimens and spectra taken from astronomers even pinpointing spots
that the various Mars Meteorites come from on
the surface of Mars!! Perhaps we can't say with a 100% certainty (because we
haven't been there and brought material back that is an exact match) that they
are from Mars but I would sure hate to try to
explain where they might be from other wise. The evidence is too good to believe
other wise, that is to those that listen.

--AL

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: