Re: Stable and unstable orbits and the Titius-Bode law

Piper R.W. Hollier schrieb:

> In 1766 Titius van Wittenburg derived a formula which expresses with
> considerable accuracy the pattern in the spacings between the planets:

>    r = 0.4 + (0.3 x 2**n)

> This formula has become known as the Titius-Bode law, honoring
> both Titius and J.E. Bode, who gained widespread publicity for
> this formula by arguing that it indicated that a planet was
> "missing" between Mars and Jupiter - this was several decades
> before the discovery of the asteroid belt.

Hello Piper and List,

1766

Titius von Wittenburg formulated what has become known as the
Titius-Bode law of planetary distances (r = 0.4 + 0.3 x 2n). The
discovery of Uranus, by Herschel in 1781, further kindled the belief
that there was a missing planet near 2.8 AU.

1794

Chladni inferred an extraterrestrial origin of meteorites. By 1803
Olbers proposed that the meteorites come from an asteroidal exploded
planet.

1801

Piazzi at Palermo discovered asteroid 1 Ceres.

1944

O.J. Schmidt postulated the start of formation of a planet near 2.8 AU,
by accumulation of particles and planetesimals, which was, however,
interrupted by Jupiter's perturbations so that the asteroids resulted
instead.

The Titius-Bode Law in action:

Distance from the Sun	Planet		Real solar distance

00.0 + 0.4 = 00.4 AU	Mercury		00.39 AU

00.3 + 0.4 = 00.7 AU	Venus		00.72 AU

00.6 + 0.4 = 01.0 AU	Earth		01.00 AU

01.2 + 0.4 = 01.6 AU	Mars		01.52 AU

02.4 + 0.4 = 02.8 AU	CERES		02.77 AU

04.8 + 0.4 = 05.2 AU	Jupiter		05.20 AU

09.6 + 0.4 = 10.0 AU	Saturn		09.55 AU

19.2 + 0.4 = 19.6 AU	Uranus		19.21 AU

------------------------Neptune-----------------

38.4 + 0.4 = 38.8 AU	Pluto		39.52 AU

Well, as you can see, the T-B law doesn't provide any room for Neptune
and becomes relatively inaccurate with regard to Pluto's orbit. But,
alas, we all know that Neptune and Pluto are quite exotic in several
respects.

Best wishes from sunny Germany from Bernd who is now going to switch off
his computer to go and work in the garden :-)

Bernd

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: