Re: Virus and Mac

> Hi Michael B. and other Mac users on this List,
>
> You should not be able to get the virus because it seems only to effect
> Windows 9x. Your Mac does not have the proper extensions to get infected.
> The Netscape message you got was simply a standard dialog box Netscape
> offers when it cannot find a helper application for the file you are trying
> to open. Unless you are running a Windows emulator or SoftWindows on your
> Mac, there is no way you can open an .exe file.
>
> So don't worry, be happy, think different!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Martin

I have got a Mac PowerPC here at the desk in my job office, and a
Windows95 machine at home.

What I saw here on the Mac, where I am also subscribed to the list, was
Kevin Kichinka´s "clean" message without the attachment, and the
EXE-file as another separate mail under the same subject name, but
encoded in a non-executable format.

What I saw on the Windows machine at home was just one message, with the
EXE-file attached to it. I fortunately read Julia´s post as a clear
warning just in time before I might have taken a chance (???) to open
it, knowing the author of the mail by his name.

Of course Mike Farmer is right with the well-known rule he stated: NEVER
EVER open an executable attachment sent by a person who is unknown to
you! But even if you know him or her, it may be risky sometimes, as we
saw here...

Alex

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: