Re: Odd meteorite on Ebay-Earlier post

In a message dated 11/15/99 10:23:06 AM Mountain Standard Time, warr@arn.net
writes:

<< My two cents........

     I think it is up to a buyer to educate themselves before they buy.  We
 can't save people from their stupidity or protect them from themselves.  We
 makes ourselves feel real good to think we are the Federal Meteorite
 Officials, but we aren't.

 Joel

Hi Joel
I hope or believe that everybody wants to learn as much as they can about
their hobby.  I also believe one of the main reasons to subscribe to this
list is educational.  I know I have learned a lot about meteorites from this
list.  I also hope that everybody's goal is help encourage new people to get
interested in meteorites.  So it would be very detrimental to the Ebay bidder
and possibly our hobby to not help stop these unscrupulous people.
The good news is this Ebay bidder did not win the rock because he did not
meet the reserve.  I emailed him and told him that I felt it was probably not
a meteorite and certainly should be tested before any money changes hand.  He
replied that he asked the seller for more info but did not get a response.  I
also asked the seller for more info and did not get a response.  Perhaps this
silence is all the answer we need.
In a follow up email to the Ebay bidder I offered to help him in any way I
could.  I would encourage everybody else to help educate and inform all who
are interested in meteorites.
My more than two cents worth.
Mike Jensen

Archives located at: