Re: Odd meteorite on Ebay-Earlier post

Hello Joel et al,

Dave F. wrote:  "Who needs the Meteorite Sheriff when we have the "Good Will
Militia".

Joel W. wrote:  "Not too long ago there was a big fiasco about a dealer
overseas in the UK selling some Mars material and Peekskill material.   He
was trashed beyond belief on this list."

No one needs the Meteorite Sheriff if discussion of ebay items is to be
pursued on this list.  The reason the posse formed in the past is precisely
because many listees complained vehemently about discussion of such
on the list.  Hence, a separate list was formed.  That list has been very,
very active behind the scenes.  Much blatent fraud has been thwarted.
There
have been far too many, as ebay has no restrictions or standards for the
sale of what can be called a meteorite.  I would point out that the
public's  impression of the meteorite community as a whole may be based on
the
fraudulent practices of those who are not even members of this community, as
the public is far more in touch with ebay than with us.
I would further caution against verbal degradation of the diligent work of
these volunteers who spend hour after hour monitoring ebay for this type of
situation.

This brings me to another topic:  the organization formerly known as the
IMA, (whose name was changed to IMPACT out of necessity).
Minor point:  This organization has remained separate from the Sheriff and
his posse ( for the formative stages at least).

As a consequence of list discussion in the middle of the summer, where
doubts as to need for such an organization were put forth and the suggestion
that the Meteoritical Society would not only carry more clout, but more
aptly handle the affairs of such a group, e.g. education and the like, it
has been difficult to rally the morale of different committees.  Perhaps
with the presence of a 'duplication of effort' looming over the organization
as a cloud, most of the volunteer members were less inclined to give of
their busy life schedules for the pursuit of a long and difficult task
without fruition.

As a result, it is my suggestion that the original Hunting Club portion for
which members originally volunteered, go forth as planned, if desired,
although that seems to be working well on it's own, and that any discussions
of a meteorite organization take place in Tuscon when potential members can
form a cohesive, unfettered unit.

Best Regards,
Julia