Re: Odd meteorite on Ebay-Earlier post

Whats bad, and >this doesn't apply to all dealers on this list, is that most
of the time you\>hear complaints about items on ebay, its from dealers.  I
believe the\>dealers want to keep the dealing market as small as possible.
Not too long >ago there was a big fiasco about a dealer overseas in the UK
selling some >Mars material and Peekskill material.   He was trashed beyond
belief on this >list <snip>

This is so false and wrong that this comment does just as much damage to the
meteorite community as selling an obvious piece of weathered lava rock as a
meteorite. Wither some list members like it or not eBay has become a major
meteorite selling source. There are many new collectors (Myself included)
that are only meteorite collectors because of eBay. The fact that meteorites
was sold on eBay even made it to CNN a couple months ago with the ZAG
meteorite and water. One buyer of one of the Zags that I have auctioned off
on eBay told me that he saw the water/ZAG story on CNN and CNN in their
story told of different ways that ZAG was for sale - one of which was eBay.
It was the first that my customer ever herd of eBay and some asking around
to find out what eBay was finally led him to my auction where he is now a
meteorite collector. As for the UK guy, I understand that he was breaking
eBay selling rules and that is why he was blacklisted - not for his
meteorites.
The reason that eBay dealers are the first to try and keep eBay clean is
because eBay is such an important part of the meteorite business (Like it or
not). Myself and several other eBay dealers have an interest in keeping the
meteorites on eBay clean. After all if we are getting advertising on CNN we
better. You can bet that if a meteorite forgery scandall hit eBay CNN would
not mention it in their next meteorite story. To say that meteorite dealers
want to keep others out by trying to keep scammers out of the business is
totally wrong. More dealers is better for everybody. No one eBay seller
keeps the hundreds of collectors coming back every day to see what
meteorites are for sale on eBay. If there was only one dealer left there
would be fewer buyers. We dont want the next CNN story about meteorites to
be negative about false meteorites being auctioned off.
The people who complain about false meteorites are doing the hobby and
collectors a great service (albiet looking after there own interest of
maintaining a safe and secure meteorite selling medium also).
DEAN BESSEY