Re: dealers/eBay/collecting (RNH)

A few personal ramblings for whoever may be interested:

Many, many, years ago (1960's) I had a meteorite business, and I suppose we
could say that I and my partner were dealers as we had a valid seller's
license and resale number. We found there was a tremendous interest from
collectors.  We cut and etched meteorites, but specialized in tektites,
hundreds of pounds per year; at that time one could buy virtually perfect
teardrops and dumbbells, at very good prices direct from Asia.  Not the junk
you see available today. Noone else seemed to be doing it.  The problem was
a) there was not enough of an awareness on the public to bring forth new
meteorite finds, (b) noone was offering big bucks for such finds (c)
advertising was a slow and expensive process.  The only others I remember
having much material were Nininger's American Meteorite Laboratory , David
New and a couple of mineral dealers (Wards, etc).  Because of the lack of
new finds, and high cost of doing business, I eventually moved into more
cost-effective means of earning a living, altho I am again doing a little
bit of buying and selling to fund and build our college teaching collection,
thanks to ebay, (you will hear more about this shortly) but all those
profits go right back into buying new and more costly specimens, so the
dealers always profit in the end, as they should.

It was Bob Haag who was responsible for developing the awareness (in large
part from the national media), and who, for the first time, offered big
bucks for new finds, and we all see where it went from there.  More dealers,
more meteorites, more turn-around, and I think everyone is coming out the
better for it.

Ron Hartman
Professor of Astronomy
Dept. of Earth Science & Astronomy