Re: Odd meteorite on Ebay-Earlier post

Dave Andrews wrote:

> Now that eBay discussion is now allowed in this forum, I would suggest
> going after the seller of the Ureilite (sp?) Hippo.  This seller doesn't
> say "may be a meteorite" or "possibly is"....he says "it is."
> I have my doubts.

Seems like the first step would be to actually purchase the item (which may well
NOT be a meteorite, but IS pretty cute anyway), and have it tested, before
tossing allegations
of probable fraud, or casting aspersions which might hamper the seller's ability
to function now or in future. To do otherwise could, on the off-chance that its
the genuine
article, result in some nasty legal ramifications that might, by association,
reflect badly on the group as a whole. That's been my concern with the posse
from the get-go ...
that, in our exuberance to do right and thereby improve the meteoriticist's
image (and elicit greater public awareness), proper legal channels and protocols
might not be
observed.

My 2 cents worth.

Peri