Re: i need help on leonids?

In a message dated 11/16/99 10:42:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Meteorid@aol.com writes:

<< Subj:      i need help on leonids?
 Date:  11/16/99 10:42:22 PM Eastern Standard Time
 From:  Meteorid@aol.com
 To:    richardson@digitalexp.com, meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com,
astro@lists.mindspring.com, sara@bambi-a.bambi.net

  hello list
  this is the first time IM writing the list
  IM just getting into meteors and what not
  my location is Ocala, Florida 60 miles NE of Tampa
  i would like some help...
  where do i look for the showers?(i know nothing about longitude and
latitude
 just north south east west)
  i have a 500 mm telephoto lens on a tripod with a Minolta 35 mm camera
  i would like to take some pictures
  i have used 3600, 3200, and 400 speed film and concerts but would like any
 info on       picture taking of the shower
  i would like any responses ASAP as my wife is out of town i thinks IM a nut
 for trying this
  she returns Thursday the 18th
  this is Tuesday the 16th
  PLEASE DONT TELL ME I MISSED IT......PLEASE
                thank you for any help you can give
                                                                    looking
 up....John >>

The Leonids will be coming from the East, but will be visible over the entire
sky. As far as film speeds are concerned you should get the fastest speed
possible that won't wash out from the light pollution in your area. I used to
use a 1600 black and white film for filming meteors, and 3200 T-max for off
axis deepsky photography. Basically try a couple of different speeds and see
which one works best in your area. A 500mm lens is a little bit too large. I
wouldn't use anything over 50mm for meteor photography. I would preferably
use an 18mm lens with the f/stop opened all the way. I went through about 5
rolls of film in 1 night before i managed to capture a large Geminid
fireball. Anyway, good luck, you'll need it.

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: