Leonids

Hello All,

> Oh well, not giving up yet but 2033 looks a long way off...

> I guess I have a chance though... people have lived to be
> 118 years old before, right?

According to certain passages in two of Ron's and one of Benny
Peiser's CCNet Digest posts, we needn't be too disappointed and
should not give up - not yet ! Look and listen, please:

Leonids On The Horizon / Mon, 28 Jun 1999 17:24:35 GMT
Von: Ron Baalke <BAALKE@kelvin.jpl.nasa.gov>

" ... Rob McNaught of the Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics
at the Australian National University and colleagues have examined the
motions of Tempel-Tuttle debris particles ejected from the comet within
the last 200 years. Their calculations predict that the maximum hourly
rate of meteors in 1999 will be 1000 to 1500 per hour -- not exactly a
major storm, but still a remarkable display -- and that the best years
to observe could be in the next millennium when hourly rates might reach
10,000 - 35,000 in 2001 and 25,000 in 2002. These conclusions differ
from most other recent studies which predict greatest activity during
the years 1998 - 2000, but the Leonids do not always adhere to
conventional wisdom ..."

Further supportive information comes from Marc Gyssens (Source: CCNet,
10 November 1999 / Datum: Wed, 10 Nov 1999):

"However, even if the storm would fail to materialize, a frequency of
50 to 100 meteors per hour is guaranteed. Should Leonid meteor activity
disappoint in 1999, it is good to know that Leonid meteor storms are
possible in 2000, 2001, and 2002, too!"

Ron Baalke (Mon, 15 Nov 1999 18:27:20 GMT)

"Some scientists predict that 2000 or 2001 may provide even better
viewing opportunities for the Leonids, but no one can be sure if
these unpredictable cosmic travellers will live up to expectations."

Best wishes,

Bernd

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: