Re: Geo vs Astro chemistry was Asteroid, Comet, etc. question

Darryl,

You are referring to Disko Island basalt, which I believe got its
iron reduced while flowing over coal beds.  I've heard that
some individual masses of iron are really big, but most of what
I've seen is quite disseminated in the rock (like a chondrite!).
Here's one of the first references to this terrestrial, native iron
occurrence:

Steenstrup, Knud Johan Vogel, On the nonmeteoric origin of the masses
of metallic iron in the basalt of Disko in Greenland, Mineralogical
Magazine, p. 143-148, 1877.

At 05:07 PM 11/22/99 , you wrote:

> [...]

Dr. Jeffrey N. Grossman       phone: (703) 648-6184
US Geological Survey          fax:   (703) 648-6383
954 National Center
Reston, VA 20192, USA

Archives located at: