Re: Geo vs Astro chemistry was Asteroid, Comet, etc. question

Hi list
This is a follow up to the previous post.
I think another common misconception is that Taenite(Ni,Fe) and
Kamacite(Fe,Ni) occur only in meteorites.

The following are terrestrial localities for Taenite from;

(1)Anthony et al.  Handbook of Mineralogy Vol. 1 Elements Sulfides
Sulfosalts, 1990
p510.

California, near South Fork, Smith River, Del Norte Co.  In Canada on the
Fraser River, Lillooet district, British Columbia. Taenite is found in all
octahedrite meteorites which exhibit Widmannstatten structures as well as in
some nickel-rich ataxites.

Here are the terrestrial locations for Kamacite from ref(1) p 256.

Island, Greenland.  In Germany, from Buhul, near Weimar, Hesse.  Otherwise
from meteorites.

There also 5 locations listed for Troilite(FeS),
Again these minerals are very rare in nature but must be taken into
consideration when testing for nickel in meteorites.

There are numerous terrestrial minerals many times more common than the ones
found in meteorites.  They include but are not limited to Pyrrhotite(FeS),
Pentlandite(Fe,Ni)9S8 main ore of nickel and Nickeline(NiAs).  These will all
give a positive test for nickel and can have the appearance of nickel-iron
flakes.  The difference is that nickel-iron is malleable and the nickel
sulfides have a conchoidal fracture.  They are also heavy and can occur with
other magnetic minerals.
So remember when testing stony-iron meteorites for the presence of nickel one
must be careful not to assume because it shows a positive it is a meteorite.
All the test shows you is that it contains nickel.  It's time to send it off
to a qualified university lab to be tested more thoroughly.
I also commonly see reference to a mineral called Josephinite from Josephine
Co., Oregon.  Norton in RFS 1998 p228 states that "Josephinite is an iron
mineral alloyed with minute amounts of nickel."  There is no mineral named
Josephinite.  It is probably a mixture of taenite and other nickel minerals
(if I find out for sure I'll let you know).  The use of this term should be
discoutinued.  It is similar to noting a Juancheng as Heze.
Mike Jensen
Jensen Meteorites

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: