RE: Geo vs Astro chemistry was Asteroid, Comet, etc. question

Due to a "list subscription" problem the message that I sent yesterday to Al
and Elton didn't get posted on this List.  For the benefit of those who are
wondering where was my message that Al was responding to, here it is:

--- almitt <almitt@kconline.com> wrote:
> > Hi Elton and all,

> >> iron from a natural source on earth.  Any
> >> time you find it it on the earth it will be from
> >> human activities OR extra-terresterial. <<
> >
> > There are a couple of exceptions (aren't there
> > always) although very rare, where iron and
> > nickel can be found together naturally. One such
> > example is Josephinite found in Oregon.

Hello Al & All,

I was prepared to send a message very similar to the
one that you sent (above), but then I re-read
Elton's message a few more times.  It appears that
Elton IS aware that native iron can be found mixed
with native nickel, although he didn't mention it's
mineral name as being josephinite.

I believe Elton is correct when he said that, "I
don't think you will ever find (PURE) native iron
from a natural source on Earth", meaning metallic
iron WITHOUT any nickel.  His point being, that if
you did find a chunk of iron out in the field, and
analysis proved that it contained no nickel, then
without doubt it would be non-native, or processed
iron, as well as being non-meteoritic.
This is by definition, an "artifact".
And this is an answer to one of Troy's original questions.

 --- almitt <almitt@kconline.com> also wrote:
> > Don't have my information handy but this material
> > might come from deep within the Earth and
> > might even sample our iron/nickle core. I do have
> > some material I can scan if anyone would
> > like to see the material.

Although you are probably correct regarding the accepted origin,
I've always thought the association
of josephinite with other Platinum group minerals
would make it more logical to invoke an
extraterrestrial origin for the NATIVE
nickel-iron-platinum minerals.
It would be a lot easier than trying to bring native
iron up from the Earth's core.  After all, aren't
the cobalt minerals from Ontario derived from the
Sudbury "Astrobleme"?

> > Excellent post on the subject otherwise.
> >
> > --AL

P.S. - The native iron that Darryl F. mentioned, is
probably from specimens that were found embedded in
basalt on Disco Island, West Greenland.  This iron
contains 1 to 2 per cent of nickel, as well.

Good questions, Troy.

--Bob V.