Re: Radioactive

Hello Robert, hello List,

regarding the topic of radioactivity from Trinitites once again, I would
like to forward some remarks by Russ Kempton, who contacted me
privately, and granted permission to forward his message. Russ seems to
be very concerned about what we have been discussing here, and I am sure
this will be helpful to you, Robert, and all the list members. Many
thanks, Russ!

---BOQ---
"Trinitite never made actual mineral species.  It is a chemical artifact
from the detonation. You were quite correct in that the pieces we had
were tested at Harvard University. I had my concerns at the time but the
pieces were all relatively cold.

The "highest" reading that we recorded was 2.3 background.  I could look
up the actual readings if you are interested.  In our locality (New
England) is not uncommon to measure 5 or 6 times normal background
radiation within the Granitic outcroppings of New Hampshire.

Your definition of safe and not safe is probably conservative.  I think
that all trinitite should be handled with care.  I believe that the
detonation involved a 17kg plutonium mass?  If so, then it had to go
somewhere. So, it's possible there could be some "hot" material out
there but we have not seen any.  We had a group of Physicists hoping to
find some "hot" material for tests to recalculate the original mass of
Plutonium but our material was to "cold" for them".
---EOQ---

Best regards,
Alex
--
Alexander Seidel        My location on planet Earth
Dankersstrasse 22       N 53.5932  E 9.4683  6m asl

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: