Re: New Campos

Dear List;
I agree with Michael Blood.  I cannot justify spending my entire yearly income
on a
specimen of meteorite.  Granted, they are very cool...but so is expensive
petrified
wood, jade, groceries, gasoline and other of life's necessities.  I do not yet
have
Lunar or Martian meteorites in my collection.  I hope to purchase a very small
specimen of each one day.  I do not think that small affordable specimens, even
micro-specks of rare items, hurts anyone.  Granted, one gets what one pays for.
Perhaps one of the folks who think that "flooding the market" with specks hurts,
would like to donate me a speck...so the market is not so flooded.   Maybe a
trade...a small slice of Gibeon for a speck of any SNC?  See what I mean?
Signed,
Blood (ed) and not flooded!
Dave Freeman

Michael Blood wrote:

> J. Warren wrote:
> Flooding the market is when you buy a piece of Nakhla, hammer it to
> pieces, and sell a piece of dust for $20.00.  You suddenly have hundreds
> of pieces pieces available to fill holes in peoples collections, and it
> lowers the value of the larger pieces. (SNIP)
> ---------------------
> J.,
>         I don't think this was directed at me, so, I feel no defensiveness. I
> am curious, however, that you leap to the conclusion that selling small
> frags of very rare material so that collectors with a modest income can
> afford to have them SOMEHOW "lowers the value of the larger pieces."
>         HOW do you jump to that conclusion??? I have been selling complete
sets
> of all the known non-Antarctic SNCs for a couple of years - $1,500 for a
> set consisting of very small frags & $7,000 for a set of substantial
> sized frags. While I have sold, perhaps, 2 or 3 times as many small
> sets, I HAVE sold many of the very large sets. Niether I nor these
> buyers seemed to feel their larger specimens were somehow "cheapened" by
> the existance of small fragments in many more collections. Of course, I
> have kept one of these larger specimen collections for myself - I just
> don't see how many others having small specimen collections makes my set
> somehow of "less value."
>         I also, like most collectors, have small samples of DAG 262 & DAG400
> lunar meteorites. I saw an AWSOME ultra thin slice about half the size
> of a dollar bill (it was "only" $80K). It most certainly did not, in any
> way, seem to be of "less value" simply because I had a small fragment of
> the same material at home.
>         How do other list members feel about this issue?
>         Best wishes, Michael

> Archives located at:
> http://www.meteoritecentral.com/list_best.html
>
> For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: