Re: BIG NEW METEORITE 192 Pounds

Hello Art and List,

>     Wow, congratulations!  We look forward to all the fascinating details.
>  By the way, does anyone know if Ninnger's (and Michael's) methods have
>  produced any results in the northeastern part of the USA?

I don't know about the Northeast but I am trying here in the Southeast.

Claxton, GA is about a 45 drive from Savannah and I driven through Claxton
hundreds of times over the past 20 years.  As some on the list may know, the
Claxton meteorite fall of December 1984 is the only known meteorite to have
hit a mailbox.  Only one stone was recovered, by Hal Povenmire.

Recently, my work took me to Claxton and I was talking to the director of the
local head start program there (I observed her classrooms of) and I mentioned
the Claxton meteorite.  She told me that she did remember the events
sourrounding the fall but if I really wanted to know the particullars I
should talk to her husband who happened to be the Sherriff of the county.
Now folks, if you are from a small town you know that the Sheriff basically
knows everyone in the county.  I asked him if he knew of any individuals who
might have recovered more fragments but unfortunately he did not. Her told me
that that women on whose property the meteorite had fallen had passed away
some years ago but he had just seen her son a fee days ago and the next time
he saw him he would ask her son if he ever found any more fragments.  After I
offered a nice cash reward he told me that he would ask around to see if
anyone else knew anything about more pieces that were recovered.

No, I am not holding my breath thinking that someone will call tomorrow of a
5 kg piece of Claxton, but who knows?  It may prove fruitfull sometime down
the road.

-Walter

Branch Meteorites and Tektites
322 Stephenson Ave., Suite B