Re: Tektite / Impactite

Hi Louis and all,

I have read some of your posts and have tried to entertain some of the ideas and
arguments for the lunar origin. One of the lists member suggested that perhaps
we have sample both terrestrial and Lunar material and to me that is a common
sense approach since we can't really explain all of the dynamics of  these
glasses. I don't think we fully understand the total picture of a large
impacting body yet on the Earth. Perhaps under high pressures the bubbles are
purged in a matter of microseconds, the area of impact is converted into glass
and then makes its way up into the atmosphere where it solidifies into the
particles we call tektites.

Tektites are a big mystery and it would be foolhardy to say we know all there is
about these interesting artifacts. I have met Hal Povenmire at astronomy
conventions and also at one shuttle launch where we had time to talk. I also
know of him from others who have dealt with him. To be frank Hal is an
interesting guy and knowledgeable but he certainly isn't a heavy weight as far
as meteoritics or tektites
is concern in my opinion. Rather there are others in the field that are much
more knowledgeable and that I would rather take my information from. I like to
see both sides of the arguments and hope we see posts from both. It may be
years, decades or centuries until we discover the real origin of tektites but
sooner or later we will understand them.

--AL

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: