Re: Tektite / Impactite

Hi:

Regarding Hal Povemire's book: well I think Hal's book is excellent. You
mention that Hal is not a "heavyweight," but is he less a heavyweight than
Guy Heinen, Phil Bagnall (or similar authors)on the topic of tektites?  I
think Povenmire's imminetly qualified to write a book on the topic--you
don't need a Ph.D to understand a scientific issue as a science writer (as
Povenmire is). In fact, it's refreshing to have an outsider look in on the
messy world of professional scientists--too many turf fights and egos often
get in the way of the truth, in my opinion.  Rather that Povenmire is an
astute tektite collector, amateur astronomer AND science writer who had the
insight to bring two of the foremost living tektite experts together--one
believing a terrestrial origin (Bill Glass), the other a lunar origin (John
O'Keefe)--in one little book to duke it out.  This is the definitive,
capsulized root of the disagreement between the two origin schools; the book
says it better than all the recent tektite books beacuse it says it in the
two experts own words--in a "point-counterpoint" format. That's why this is
such an excellent book that deserves more attention and more space on
university library bookshelves.  Anyone interested in tektites needs
Povenmire's book to talk intelligently about the tektite controversy and to
understand that there are fundamental flaws--I hate to say--in both origin
theories!

<<< <Impactika@aol.com> 11/ 4  9:44p >>>
Hello List Members,

Thank you very much all of you for your answers.
I knew I could count on the experts!!

And if I understand you right: moldavites and indochinites are tektites but
the other types of impact glasses (Darwin, Libyan, bombs,  .... ) are
impactites.

Did I get it right?
Anne

Archives located at: