"akaganeite"

Sharkkb8@aol.com schrieb:

> here are a few grams of Nan Tan meteorite with  a k a g a n e i t e
> stains on top! ...found in a description of a meteorite for sale on
> everyone's favorite internet auction site. Unfamiliar with this term,
> can anyone take a stab at "akaganeite" for me? - Gregory

Hello Gregory and List,

"akaganeite" is a hydroxide. A.E. Rubin gives its formula as "ß-FeO (OH,
Cl) in his article:

RUBIN A.E. (1997) Mineralogy of meteorite groups (Meteoritics 32-2,
1997, 231-247).

On page 242, we find among other details:

"Surveys of iron meteorites have revealed that secondary minerals that
formed by terrestrial weathering include (a) oxides and hydroxides
formed directly from metallic Fe-Ni by oxidation and the incorporation
of  H2O, Cl^- (= minus), and, in one case, CO3^2- from the terrestrial
environment (Cl-bearing akaganeite, etc.) ... Akaganeite is the
principal Cl-bearing corrosion product of meteoritic metal, and
lawrencite appears not to exist."

BUCHWALD V.F. et al.. (1988) Akaganeite, not lawrencite, corrodes
Antarctic iron meteorites (abs. Meteoritics 23-3, 1988, 261).

BUCHWALD V.F. et al. (1989) Corrosion of Fe-Ni alloys by Cl-containing
akaganeite (ß-FeOOH): The Antarctic meteorite case (Amer.Min. 74,
656-667).

L.Schultz et al. (1989) Mt.Wegener, a new Antarctic iron meteorite (abs.
Meteoritics 24-4, 1989, 324): "... Corrosion products are minerals like
akaganeite, maghemite and goethite."

Best wishes,

Bernd

Archives located at: