Re: Akaganeite

Hi Dean
I collected minerals for several years before I "saw the light".  I was also
a mineral dealer and still sell some minerals.  While I did not specialize in
rare minerals I do know enough about it to give a reasonably expert opinion.
People who would collect akaganeite would be species collectors.  These
collectors are highly suspicious of mineral identifications of smears or
small grains.  The mineral would have to be tested eg. XRD, SEM etc in order
to be positively ID.  The cost of such tests vary depending on the test and
number of samples.  Let me assure you it is not cheap.
Another problem is the mineral is probably not rare and most species
collectors only want one location.  Most alteration products are common.   I
am sure all of us have alot of akaganeite already in our collections.
A word of caution to anybody who lists or buys a meteorite because it has a
specific mineral in be careful(ringwoodite comes to mind).  Many of the
minerals contained in meteorites are small grains and might not even be in
the specimen you have.
I hope that convinces you to not worry about the "rare" minerals contained in
meteorites especially Nan Tan.
Mike Jensen
Jensen Meteorites

Archives located at: