Ball Lightning

I'm glad to finally be able to contribute something to a discussion:

When I was in the second grade, my classroom was a
large one, with huge single-pane glass windows making up one wall.  One day,
during a thunderstorm (and while we were being read Charlotte's Web, as I
recall) a girl who was sitting by the window began yelling for us all to
look outside. "There's a ball of lightning!!"  And sure enough, there was a
glowing blue ball, although at some distance away.  It moved around
erratically for a few seconds and disappeared. The classroom was a madhouse.

 My teacher, who had not looked out the window (she didn't believe in ball
lightning either), didn't believe it until she got home, when her son called
from a nearby college to say that he had seen the same thing!!

So yes, Virginia, there is ball lightning.

Ryan Culpepper

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: