velocity of incandecense vs atmosphere density

Hello all,

 As long as the list is relatively quiet, I have a two part question that
I am curious about. The recent loss of the Mars Climate Orbiter got me to
thinking, is the Martion atmosphere dense enough to cause incoming objects,
(rocks, multi-million dollar satelites, etc) to actually burn(incandense)?
Wouldn't it take a higher entry speed in a thinner atmosphere? What part
does oxygen content play? As a welder, I know that once you start a cut with
a oxy/acetylene torch you can turn off the acetylene and actually burn the
steel simply by blowing oxygen on it.

Just curious,
howard

Archives located at: