Parent Bodies

Dear list,

Reading the book Meteorites and Their Parent Bodies the new edition just
out this year, it is apparent that the asteroid for all the H type
ordinary chondrites has been identified, though the author and others in
the meteoritics field are very careful not say absolutely. Besides this
it looks like the parent body for the L chondrites has been destroyed by
impact and the only clue is a small chunk remaining to tell the story.

Vesta has been thought to to be the parent body of the eucrites,
howardites and diogentites and their is some connection of
messosiderites being made from this body and another. Thanks to the
Hubble Space Telescope and some ground base observations, and hard but
brilliant work done by our dedicated scientists in the meteoritics
field,  it looks like they are even more certain of this today than a
decade ago when McSween's book first came out.

Further more there are other asteroids which the names are known that
may be the parent bodies of the CR meteorites, aubrites, E4's and CM2's
and a number of others that are more questionable. No doubt on the lunar
meteorites and little doubt Martian meteorites. It seems that the pieces
of the puzzle are beginning to fall in place and more and more source
bodies are being possibly identified. These revelations make the
interest and hobby of collecting just that much more fascinating.

Also it is demonstrated as to why the asteroids remains never formed
another larger body, mainly due to the unaltered specimens we find in
the belts. It makes one wonder where we will be in another decade.

--AL

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: