Re: bolide and a fireball

 harlan>>also, what's the difference
  between a bolide and a fireball????-inquiring minds wanna know

 Basically one was adopted by the IAU to denote meteors that were brighter
than any of the planets. This was the fireball. There were times when usage
of either word has been inter-changeable to mean the same thing. In some
circles, bolide has become to mean a bright fireball that has exploded and/or
produced sonic booms. I personally use fireball whether a sonic was heard or
not if the meteor was qualified by brightness, however I don't see any reason
why bolide shouldn't be used to denote the exceptional noise making
fireballs.
 geozay

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: