Re: bolide and a fireball

 richard>>There is no use butchering the English language any more than it
already
 has been. Bolide MEANS explosive.<<

I have nothing against using "bolide" to designate a meteor that has
exploded. But a lot of folks use the term "bolide" even when describing
meteors brighter than the brightest planet without the meteor actually
exploding. According to IAU, these should be called "Fireballs". Another
misuse of "bolide" is sometimes connecting the  sonic boom to a meteor that
did not explosively destroy itself. I personally except sonics associated
with bright meteors that don't self destruct along with those that have a
terminal burst with no sound heard as being bolides as well.

 richard>>Bolide.--Originally from the Greek meaning an arrow-shaped meteor or
 missile. In modern usage "an exploding or exploded meteor or meteorite."
 Websters Third International Dictionary.<<

So in this case, is webster referring to the meteorite exploding in the air
or on the ground? Since supposedly it's not a meteorite until it touches the
ground.

 richard>>That suggests to me that if you see and/or hear a meteor explode it
is a
 "bolide" and it may produce meteorites if the fragments don't burn out
 before they reach the ground. <<

Yes, this also suggests to me that you can have a meteorite before it touches
the ground.
geozay

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: