Re: bolide and a fireball

GeoZay wrote:

>I don't see any reason why bolide shouldn't be used to denote the
exceptional noise making fireballs.

I do!

You can get two people standing a few hundred metres apart and, because of
the way sound bounces around, one may hear the object while the other will
not. To one it is a bright fireball, to the other it is a "bolide". That
defeats the whole object of providing a "definition" which is to give one
meaning to a word.

Similarly, some people use bolide to describe a particularly bright
fireball, while others use it to donate an exploding fireball! Again, one
person may see the object explode, while another may not. So is it a
fireball or a bolide?

There is little point in using dictionaries as any dictionary editor will
tell you that their purpose is not to define a word but to give its common
English meaning and usage, which is not quite the same thing.

All scientific terms are approved by bodies set up by the scientific
community. As far as astronomy is concerned, the IAU is charged with
defining terminology through its various Commissions. Where we are
concerned, it is IAU Commission 22: Meteors and Meteorites that defines the
terminology used in meteoritics. Back in 1961 they opted for fireball
instead of bolide because of the confusion the latter term could cause. And
rightly so: in this list we have seen several views on what "bolide" means
and none of them are particularly good or accurate.

You can find a list of IAU definitions at:

www.ticetboo.demon.co.uk/define.htm

Phil Bagnall

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: