Re: When Does a Meteorite become a Meteorite?

At 02:34 PM 9/10/99 EDT, you wrote:

>richard>> I prefer meteoroid, meteor,
>meteorite for simplicity's sake.<<
>
>I do to....but I'm questioning the notion as to just when one should call a
>meteorite, a meteorite when the meteoroid and meteor definitions no longer
>applies.
>geozay

    I've always though of it this way (for whatever it's worth),
It's a meteoroid while in space, while visible upon entry a meteor, dark
flight it reverts to a meteoroid (after all, the only differance is the new
fusion crust right?) then upon ground strike a meteorite. Or Maybe until
it's found it's still a meteoroid. Once found we call them meteorites.

How that?

Regards,
Tom Randall

Archives located at: