Re: When Does a Meteorite become a Meteorite?

Hello,
The term meteorite appears to reflect its designation as a mineral which
has an "ite" ending just like hematite, magnetite, pyrite, etc. So maybe
it should not be referred to as "a" meteorite but simply as meteorite.
Anyway, if another mineral was found in the atmosphere, I'm sure some
particles are floating around up there, it would not have a different
name merely because it was in the atmosphere. The mineral "meteorite" is
completely formed and in its final compositional state immediately after
its luminous flight and within its dark flight phase before it hits the
ground. So why not call it by its mineral designation at this
point...meteorite? I like the question about what it would be called if
it hit an airplane or was captured before it hit the ground. I would
vote for the same answer...meteorite.

David

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: