Re: NASA's meteorite curriculum

Hello,

Dross365 kindly offered:
>My point is that this is a great learning tool for teachers to use, but if
>you are a meteorite expert already, then you might have no use for it.

This is correct. The curriculum gives the elementary teacher (or any other
educator) some hands-on activities that can be used to teach about
meteorites. It was not designed to teach the expert about meteorites, but
instead, to teach the younger student about what involved in the study of
meteorites. There is a review of the curriculum on page 39 of May 1999
issue of Meteorite! Magazine.

I went through training on the use of the curriculum at Kennedy Space
Center. One of the more memorable activities was to carefully dismantle a
Snickers candy bar. We drew pictures of the cross-sections, removed the
peanuts, measured the layers, and then described what we had found. While
this was a rather basic exercise, it offered insight into what really goes
on in this area of planetary science. I was in a room filled with "experts"
and we had a blast working and eating. In fact, my partner for this
activity was Carloyn Shoemaker.

For those, like Stu, who are dedicated to educating children about the
subject we all enjoy, this curriculum is a wonderful addition to any
collection of educational materials. For those who are looking for the
latest and greatest meteorite information, may I suggest joining the
Meteoritical Society and reading their journal Meteoritics and Planetary
Science.

Cheers,

Martin

Archives located at: