Re: When it's a rock! (was, "RE: When Does a Meteorite become a Meteorite?")

>When it's a piece of space
>junk coming through the atmosphere making the light what do we call
>it?
-------
The liturature, AS A WHOLE  has ALWAYS been consistant: A metoeroid
prior to hitting the earth (even when it is producing light passing
through the atmosphere, even when it is in its "dark phase" etc.) and
the light phenomenon is a meteor. When it arrives on earth, it is a
meteorite - until then, it is a meteoroid. Yes, I KNOW an isolated
comment here and there in the liturature has left room (just a teeny
crack) through which all of this questioning of terms has squeezed.
	I am confused. The terms have always been clear and consisatant - there
IS NO DARK PHASE - any more than there is a "PRE LIGHT PHASE."
Asteroid
Meteoroid
	(meteor - a light phenomenon)
Meteorite