Re: When it's a rock! (was, "RE: When Does a Meteorite become a Meteorite?")

Michael,

My question had to do with whether the object (space junk or meteoroid) determines
what we call the light phenomenon.  In other words, does the term *meteor* refer to
the light phenomenon no matter what the source? Since I'm new to the list I'm just
asking, not trying to argue a point one way or the other.

Thanks to GeoZay for giving me some ways to make an educated guess as to whether a
*meteor* is a rock from space or a piece of returning space junk.

Ginger Mayfield
Divide, CO

Michael Blood wrote:

> >When it's a piece of space
> >junk coming through the atmosphere making the light what do we call
> >it?
> -------
> The liturature, AS A WHOLE  has ALWAYS been consistant: A metoeroid
> prior to hitting the earth (even when it is producing light passing
> through the atmosphere, even when it is in its "dark phase" etc.) and
> the light phenomenon is a meteor. When it arrives on earth, it is a
> meteorite - until then, it is a meteoroid. Yes, I KNOW an isolated
> comment here and there in the liturature has left room (just a teeny
> crack) through which all of this questioning of terms has squeezed.
>         I am confused. The terms have always been clear and consisatant - there
> IS NO DARK PHASE - any more than there is a "PRE LIGHT PHASE."
> Asteroid
> Meteoroid
>         (meteor - a light phenomenon)
> Meteorite