Re: Millions of new Comets Coming - Part 1 of 2

At 08:04 PM 9/12/99 EDT, you wrote:

>bernd<<  The storm will be spread out over about
> 2 million years, so only about one new long-period comet a year will
> appear in Earth's traffic pattern. Still, when compared with the current
> rate of about two comets per year, GL 710 will trigger a 50 percent
> increase in local cometary traffic. (Richard Talcott)<<
>
>Only 2 per year? I thought the current rate of comets per year is more along
>the lines of about a dozen or so?
>GeoZay

 At LEAST a dozen, usually more then that the past few years. I believe
we've been up in the high 20's to mid 30's the past few years.

Regards,
Tom Randall

Tom Randall -- tprandall@idsi.net (Remove the "P" to e-mail me)
Amateur Radio - KB2SMS
Mt. Beacon Amateur Radio Club / ARRL / 10-10 / QRP-L #1965
Member: AAVSO Solar Division

My Astronomy/Ham radio site: http://www1.mhv.net/~trandall/welcome.html

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: