Re: When it's a rock! (was, "RE: When Does a Meteorite become a Meteorite?")

>What in a meteoroids
>definition now describes the object we have during the dark phase?
--------
George,
	I see this comment as reflecting the genisis of what I see as a
misunderstanding: "..the object we have during the dark phase.." implies
the "light phase," (or "meteore" as the liturature calls it), is ONLY a
MANIFESTATION of the meteoroid -this is a BASIC MISUNDERSTANDING of the
nomenclature: the term, "meteor" IS a light phenomenon - talking about a
"dark phase" is like talking about a "post rainbow" - or "pre rainbow."
	If one wants to refer to a meteoroid AFTER the production of a meteor
has ceased, the liturature has simply referred to ceasation of
hypersonic speed. How is this a problem?
 	It seems to me it can ONLY be a "problem" if one is thinking of a
"meteor" as something solid that emits light - that is NOT what a
meteore is - a meteore is the LIGHT emitted due to interaction of the
meteoroid with the atmosphere prior to ceasation of hypersonic speed.
	After ceasation of hypersonic speed, it is STILL a meteoroid, until
it comes into contact with the earth. As for "what is it if it hits an
airplane?" That is no more substantial an argument than the 1972
fireball over Wyoming to which you referred. Now that it has entered the
earth's atmosphere and produced a light phenomenon.....is it now a
meteorite in space?
	Best wishes, Michael

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: