Re: When it's a rock! (was,"RE: When Does a Meteorite become a Meteorite?")

jeffrey<<
 So with all this space junk and meteoroid monitoring, has anyone predicted
any
 fireballs?  Seems like a nice practical use for the data.  What is the
 sensitivity of our equipment for monitoring?<<

Not that I know of....other than the one's that hit jupiter a few years back.
There seems to be some great difficulty in picking up the larger bodies, yet
alone the small meteoroids.  I'd think detecting the smaller meteoroids would
be a very big challenge? By the time someone detected a small meteoroid,
there probably isn't very much time to note this before it enters the
atmosphere it would seem to me?

jeffrey>>  Do most  meteoroids just come in
 too fast to be detected?

For the most part I would say this would be a major problem along with their
smallness.
GeoZay

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: