Re: New Quebec Crater featured in National Geographic

"Piper R.W. Hollier" kindly wrote:

> The January 1952 issue of National Geographic Magazine featured a
> 32-page article about this expedition, "Solving the Riddle of Chubb
> Crater", with very impressive color photos of an equally impressive
> crater.

Hello Piper and Listees!

Two impressive color photos can also be found in a Meteoritics issue:

MARVIN U.B. and KRING D.A. (1992) Authentication controversies and
impactite petrography of the New Quebec Crater (Meteoritics 27-5, 1992,
pp. 585-595).

The authors describe both early studies of the crater and new
petrographic observations.

Color photo no. 1 is an aerial photograph taken on 1986 August 3 when
ice covered half of the crater lake.
Color photo no. 2 was taken on August 10 when the ice had already
melted.

I have a scanned black & white version in JPEG format in case someone is
interested. My scanned version of color photo no. 1 is relatively good
quality, whereas photo no.2 is only poor quality.

> Any list member in Europe who is interested in a copy and wants to
> save on postage can contact me, as I have found several copies here
> in Amsterdam and will pass them on at my cost.

Hello, Piper, I am interested!

> Many thanks to Bernd for the additional information.

Thank YOU for this comprehensive background info on Chubb Crater and for
kindly passing on copies to those interested!

Best wishes to all,

Bernd

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: