New Quebec Crater featured in National Geographic

Hello Jim, Walter, and list,

The National Geographic Society and the Royal Ontario Museum of Toronto
co-sponsored the first scientific expedition to this crater, then known as
the Chubb Crater, in July and August of 1951. The January 1952 issue of
National Geographic Magazine featured a 32-page article about this
expedition, "Solving the Riddle of Chubb Crater", with very impressive
color photos of an equally impressive crater. The expedition was an
adventurous undertaking, as the crater is in a very remote area and was
only accessible for a few weeks in the summer when the lake in the crater
was free of ice, making it possible to land an amphibious plane. Although
this expedition was able to conclude that the crater is not volcanic in
origin, the scientists did not find conclusive evidence then of a meteorite
impact, although a magnetometer reading did suggest that a buried mass or
masses of iron could be present under one area of the rim.

The crater was originally named for Frederick Chubb, a prospector and
frontiersman who became interested in the crater when he found it on an
aerial photograph in 1950, and participated in the expedition in 1951. It
has since been renamed New Quebec Crater.

This issue of NGM is frequently offered on eBay and usually closes at
around $5. Any list member in Europe who is interested in a copy and wants
to save on postage can contact me, as I have found several copies here in
Amsterdam and will pass them on at my cost.

Many thanks to Bernd for the additional information.

Best wishes to all,

Piper Hollier

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: