Denver Show VS. Rock Springs Show

Dear List,
How about a comparison of shows.  I am sure it would be interesting to
the dealers to see how little town show vs. big show went.  I think it
would be interesting to the amature to see how costs rule pricing as
well.
Rock Springs general community fair event, visitors aproximately 1,200
Total cost of advertising, booth space, inventory replacement, (total
overhead)
not including time (love hobby), motel (stayed at home), food (ate lunch
at home),
                                         COST..........$165
                       Total sales.......................$135
                       net loss.............................$30
Other benifits...new local connections(especially skilled carver of
speciality products), promotion of meteorite interest in local
population.  Total time loading, travel,unloading at show, loading up,
unloading at home, 7 hours show time to sell, booth and add time,
TOTAL TIME INVESTMENT: 9.5 hours.
Finincial loss..............................$3.16 per hour
I did not "kill" myself trying to sell, and most popular lost leader was
$1 each quartz crystals.  I sold one 3 gram Gibeon slice.
WOULD any dealers of the Denver Show care to do a brief cost
comparison.  I think the amature would find it fascinating to see how
profit isn't all it cracked up to be.
I have to say that sales between shows generated by shows was not
factored in and in my case, the hope that someone will bring me a new
meteorite, are hard to place a value on.
I would like to see a rough comparison, adding that I did not add to my
collection, or spend $1,000 having any fun with the "big boys".
Squeak in small town,
David W. Freeman

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: