Murray,KY- September 21, 1950- part 4

MURRAY LEDGER & TIMES     Thursday afternoon, September 21, 1950

THE METEOR WAS A REMINDER

The meteor that came over Calloway County night before last brought forth
many comments from residents who witnessed the spectacle. One of the most
common statements was that the magnitude of the phenomenon was beyond
description.

Those persons that we talked with said that although they did not know what
was going on, they felt something greater than man was responsible for it.

No man, they said, could make the sky light up with the brilliance that was
displayed . No man could create the eerie sound and dumfounding magnificence
of the spectacle, they said.

We believe that the meteor coming over Murray and Calloway County created a
healthier atmosphere. People have been reading of the atomic bomb, the
hydrogen bomb, and other awe inspiring means of destruction until they have
come to believe that man can create the most shattering force ever known.

It takes only a simple display of nature to show man that his efforts, no
matter how powerful or successful, can in no way reach or compare with the
terrific and incredible force of Nature. Man's efforts seem puny and weak in
comparison. Even the much feared atomic bomb would shrink in insignificance
at the flaming approach of a large meteor hurtling in from the outer world.

We imagine that many prayers went up night before last from the people who
viewed the terrible display of nature's forces. Now believers throng to the
front when something new and terrifying takes place. This was brought out in
the last war when someone said, "There are no atheists in the foxholes."

We think it a good and healthy thing when Nature shows itself in the
hurricane, the sea and the display of heavenly bodies. Man is reminded that
there is a force greater than himself, and that there is something more to
be gained from one's life on this earth than worldly goods.

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: