Re: Microscope question

Ginger kindly asked:
I would appreciate feedback on what features I should be looking for and
which microscopes are best for this.

Hi Ginger,

My suggestion is to get a good one or don't get one at all (that is if you
plan to use it quite a bit).

Many years ago, I bought a low priced ($225) scope, and the first thing I
noticed was that the vertical eyepieces were a bear to look through. So
number 1, get one with tilted eyepieces. Then I noticed that the
illumination system was less than effective, so number 2, get one with good
base and top lights. Then I noticed that I could not focus on a specimen if
it was more than an 2-3 cm (one inch) thick, so number 3, get a large
enough scope if you intend to use it for things other than sub-20g
specimens. Finally, there is the power issue.

I now have a nice zoom stereo microscope at home (bigger stuff at work),
and it is a variable 15x-30x. This is about right for meteorites. Most of
the observing is at the low power because the depth of field is to shallow
at the high powers.

The best advise I can give you is to get good optics. Leica has a new set
of low price (for them anyway) stereo microscopes, and they are tack-sharp.
Other companies like Swift, Boreal, etc. make fine scopes for less than the
Leica. For quality with the features I described, expect to spend $400-$600
minimum. Maybe watch ebay for a deal.

Good luck.

Martin

Archives located at: