Re: Microscope question

I would suggest what is known as a PrepScope or StereoScope in the microscopy
field.  It has a long working distance (required to get the samples under the
lense).  Good ones have low zoom power (3-7 power plus the ocular).  You will
probably need an external reflectance illuminator. I would suggest a fiber optic
one that can be moved at different angles and will help reveal various textures.
Also, would you like to be able to photograph this stuff?  You will need a
trinocular viewer attachment to do this or lose one of your oculars.  If you
really want a high end model (how much do you want to spend) I might be able to
find one for you otherwise try Edmund Scientific or some of the low price
scientific stores.

I am assuming that you dont want a high powered scope that can only look at
slides effictively because of thier short working distance and depth of field.
The scope i recommend is good for macro and micomount samples as well as very
large unprepped meteorites.

Let me know if I can help

Cheers,

Jeffrey Grantham